Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Sophia Bernard Wins Wahu U/15's


SHE started the year just wanting to improve her results in competition heats, hoping to pick up an event win here or there.

And North Steyne grommet Sophia Bernard has done just that, ending the year in perfect fashion at the Wahu Surfer Groms event on the weekend.

Sophia mastered the tricky, 1 metre swell at Curl Curl Beach to take out the competitive girls under-15 division.




The 14-year-old won by just over a point from Clare Coleman (Chifley), Tayla Ayshford (Matraville) and Alex Bryant (Cremorne Point) in a close-fought final.

“It felt really good,” Sophia said of her winning end to 2009.

“I’ve had some good results this year but this was unreal. It’s a good way to finish the year.”

One which has seen the Stella Maris student impress not only on the local scene but also in various contests around the country.

Sophia is currently in the top 10 of the Australia-wide GromSearch Series heading into the final event at Cronulla next month.

“Hopefully I can get to the semis or the final there and finish strong,” she said.

“If I can do that I could get into the top five in Australia which would be fantastic.”

Sophia credits much of her success this year to working with former professional surfer Christo Hall.

“He gives me tips about my surfing and how I can improve,” she said.

“And I’ve improved a lot, especially my turns. I’ve been training hard and it’s been paying off.”

Sophia wasn’t the only peninsula surfer to excel over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment